Friday, February 10

Nigerian university lecturer burnt to death, after a keg of petrol she bought, caught fire

A senior lecturer with the National Open University of Nigeria, Dr Jumoke Odeyemi, has been killed in a fire that gutted her apartment in the Ketu area of Lagos State., Punch reports.

Odeyemi, who joined NOUN in 2009, had a doctorate in Adult and Continuing Education from the University of Ibadan, where she also had her bachelor’s degree in Language and Literacy and master’s degree in Education.

She reportedly got married four years ago and had yet to have a child with her United States-based husband.

Punch Metro gathered that she was asleep at her residence on Jemigbon Street, Apollo Estate, Ketu on Thursday when power was restored around 2am.

The victim had reportedly bought a 30-litre fuel the previous day which she kept in her balcony.

It was gathered that as soon as power was restored, there was a spark which reportedly caught a mosquito net in the two-bedroomed flat, leading to the fire.

Residents said they were awoken by the victim’s call for help, adding that in the twinkling of an eye, the fire reached the jerrycan of petrol and exploded.

The deployment of operatives of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and more than five water trucks from two fire stations in the area did not save the don from death.

She was reportedly burnt beyond recognition and her remains deposited in a morgue.

Smokes were reportedly emanating from Odeyemi’s apartment and were still billowing as of 4pm yesterday.

The government had, however, closed down the building.

No comments :

Trending News

Other News That You May Like