Thursday, August 6

N40 million ransom demanded to free 92-year-old monarch


The abductors of the 92-year-old paramount ruler of Tombia, King Christian Otobotekere, have demanded N40m ransom from his family before they will let him off their hook.

Otobotekere, an acting clan head of Ekpetiama Kingdom in Yenagoa Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, was abducted recently.



Six gunmen had invaded the residence of the monarch when he was about to have his bath and forced him into their vehicle.

The vehicle was later set ablaze when they got to the waterside, where they had kept their speed boat to escape.

It was learnt that the abductors had initially demanded N100m before they reduced the ransom to N40m.

It was further learnt that the family members that had been apprehensive over the state of health of the nonagenarian had their nerves calmed when they were allowed to talk to him and he assured them that he was healthy.

Family sources said the kidnappers were working on wrong information that the King was a wealthy man who has many contracts with a multinational oil company.

A police source said their operatives were aware of the ransom demand but would ensure that the monarch was released unconditionally.

The source, who did not want his name mentioned, said the police were working with the Department of the State Security and other security agencies to ensure that the monarch regained his freedom in a matter of days.

He said, “We are working with other security agencies on the monarch’s kidnap. We are on their trail and we would get to the location they are. The monarch would soon regain his freedom,” he said.

No comments :

Trending News

Other News That You May Like