1. When former president Goodluck Jonathan knelt before Hajia Aya Dada, the mother of his late boss, Umaru Yar’Adua.
In Nigeria, we love respect a lot. How dare you not use sir and ma for your elders or kneel down to greet?
As a child, you are taught the importance of showing respect and you grow up with it. When you are old, you also pass on this ‘culture of respect’ to your children.
In Nigeria, especially the Yoruba culture, when you see an elderly person, you must greet them properly, with your knees touching the floor.
Kneeling is a sign of respect and culture. As long as the person is older than you, you must show respect.
It is no surprise that this respect culture everything that goes on in the society, even our political landscape.
Below are prominent Nigerians who have been spotted kneeling down before their elders. We can’t say if it is out of respect or something else.
2. Some lawmakers were spotted kneeling before Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo state with Hon Benjamin Uwajumogu sitting and watching.
3. Adams Oshiomhole, the former governor of Edo state, and his wife knelt down to receive blessings from the Oba of Benin.
Oshiomhole kneeling before Oba of Benin
4. Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo state and his wife, Betsy kneeling before the Oba of Benin.
Kneeling down before Oba of Benin
5. The wife of the vice president showed she has not forgotten how to show respect to her elders as she knelt to greet Bola Tinubu and Muhammadu Buhari.
Osinbajo's wife kneeling down
6. After getting her Doctorate degree from the University of Calabar (UNICAL), Cross River state, Dr Mrs Uduak Onofiok Luke, the wife of Akwa Ibom state House of Assembly speaker, knelt down to thank her husband for his support.
kneeling down to greet her husband
7. See how Governor El-Rufai is kneeling down beside Olusegun Obasanjo and the former Nigeria minister of agriculture and the President of African Development Bank, Dr Akinwumi Adesina with undivided attention.
8. Engr. Don Etim, the Akwa Ibom state commissioner for works was spotted kneeling before the former first lady of Akwa Ibom state, Ekaette Unoma Godswill Akpabio, at an event.
kneels akpabio wife
9. This politician, who happens to be a House of Reps member, Hon. Samson Osagie, was said to be kneeling down to beg for votes.
10. Governor Nyesom Wike kneels down to greet Patience Jonathan.
Gov Wike kneeling
11. Governor Nasir El-Rufai showing ex-vice president some kind of respect while greeting him. Who knew they were going to end up attacking themselves later.
12. This picture sparked controversy when it was reported that Zenith bank staff knelt down to beg Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti state.
Is this a show of respect or…?